Let's Talk Podcasts

By Ciara Rosney - June 20, 2020


In a time where we're all pretty much stuck at home trying to find things to pass the time, I've found that there's only one thing to do - other than read - that has made me grateful for the extra free time lockdown has provided: listen to podcasts. Over the last few years I've dipped in and out of podcasts, only pressing play on ones that have been recommended. For some reason or other, I have trouble trusting a podcast will be good enough to use up hours of my day. I don't know why that is either... But beside that, there is a small handful I have truly become obsessed with. Whether I'm out on a walk, writing my latest blog post or scrolling through Instagram, I'll more than likely be listening to one of them. 

With the house a lot quieter than it was at the beginning of lockdown now that I'm the only one not working, it's nice to listen to podcasts and feel as though I'm part of a conversation that I unfortunately can't join in with. Below, in no particular order, are the podcasts I've been listening to every day!

SHAGGED MARRIED ANNOYED

Chris and Rosie Ramsey talk all about life, relationships, arguments, annoyances, parenting, growing up and everything in between. Seriously, nothing is left out. With a new episode going up every Friday, you won't have to wait long before your next laugh. They answer questions that the public have sent in to help settle hilarious arguments and read out cringe-worthy stories from people who insist on being kept anonymous to avoid the shame of anyone knowing who they are. It's just brilliant. There isn't a single episode that hasn't made me laugh out loud hard enough to make my stomach hurt. If you decide to pick just one podcast from this list, this is the one I'd recommend without hesitation. 

WITCH, PLEASE

Would it be too much to say that Witch, Please may be the best podcast ever? I can't see many people listening who don't enjoy the Harry Potter series, which is why, unlike the one mentioned above, I'm not recommending this to everyone. But even so, it's absolutely fantastic. Two hilarious hosts, Marcelle and Hannah, reread and rewatch the Harry Potter series, and discuss each one on a fortnightly basis - or at least they did until the show ended. The subjects of feminism, sexuality, and lack of people of colour are just some of the subjects talked about in depth, often bringing up points I hadn't thought about myself before but are now stable questions when I'm reading anything. Marcelle and Hannah (as well as other guests in a handful of episodes) push listeners to examine and critique arguably one of the most well-known series in history. As someone who grew up reading the books and obsessing over the films, it's refreshing to be able to now question and explore the problems and issues within the series, yet still hold it close to my heart.

GROUNDED WITH LOUIS THEROUX

There's no surprise that this flew straight to the top of the charts when the first episode was released. Since being stuck at home has put any documentaries on hold for the foreseeable future, Theroux has decided to use his time to track down some high-profile people he has always wanted to talk to, ranging from Boy George to Helena Bonham Carter to KSI. Admittedly there are a couple of names I'm not familiar with but it doesn't matter because within minutes Theroux's questions and the stories the interviewees have to tell are so fascinating. The one thing that makes Grounded unique is that it feels more like a conversation rather than an interview; there are times where I laugh along with the podcast as though I'm truly there and a part of the hilarious mishaps that come with trying to use Zoom. Grounded actually makes Mondays something to look forward to!

DESERT ISLAND DISCS

Although I've long lost count of how often this has been recommended, it's taken lockdown for me to actually sit down and listen to it. Now I'm wondering why I never tried it sooner. The premise is simple: eight tracks, a book and a luxury: what would you take to a desert island? But these questions aren't asked to the general public (usually) - it's the celebrities we're all interested in. Most recently I decided to listen to Daniel Radcliffe, Russell T Davies and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Diving into the stories they hold with each song that's so personal made me become even more a fan of each of them. Desert Island Discs has also helped me discover some amazing music I wouldn't have ever heard of before. It's such an easy listen and is perfect for all ages.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments