March Reads

By Ciara Rosney - March 31, 2019



Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
★★★★☆
Of all the books on my list of March Reads, I'm almost certain this is the one you recognise the most. I've decided to reread the Harry Potter series though not really in any particular order. 

It is definitely noticeable that Rowling's writing style improves with each book in the series and I honestly forgot exactly why I love this book. The amount of suspense and foreshadowing was incorporated incredibly throughout. One of my favourite aspects of Goblet of Fire is that we finally get to see more of an insight into witches and wizards around other parts of the world through the Triwizard Tournament. 

In this book, Harry really has to grow up quite quickly - not that he has a choice considering he had no control over being chosen for the Tournament. In spite of this, Rowling does a good job at reminding us of just how young Harry actually is; himself and Ron noticing the opposite sex as more than just students who fill up the classrooms, the troubles of his first crush, and even the fact there aren't always happy endings - need I mention a certain Cedric Diggory?

Not only does Goblet of Fire introduce new schools and environments, we meet a plethora of new characters, including Mad Eye Moody, Rita Skeeter and Winky the house-elf. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and for those of you who haven't, I would definitely say give it a go - though actually do start with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone like a normal person.

This Is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay
★★★☆☆
Filled with hilarious and shocking stories that make you physically cringe all the while laughing out loud, this book really puts into perspective how much help the NHS needs and how much pressure is put on the staff without much of a reward.

It is set out in the format of a diary, which made for easy reading however, at times I was given the feeling that I was stepping over the line by reading such personal stories of patients inserting extremely odd objects up their vagina - yes, really. With the personal stories of objects being in places they shouldn't be also come the personal stories that hit you hard, especially a certain memory that caused Kay to leave his position in the medical field.

Although this is the diary of a former doctor, there are footnotes for those of us who don't have a mental encyclopaedia of medical terms, though, admittedly, a few times I still wasn't confident I fully understood some of the definitions but that still didn't stop me enjoying the read. Would definitely recommend.

My Brother's Name is Jessica by John Boyne
★★☆☆☆
Written from the perspective of the younger brother of a transgender, we are given the story of how one family reacts to the change of the eldest sibling, a reaction that is sadly not a surprise considering the true stories we read about.

I have such mixed feelings about this book. With Boyne's book being released through Puffin - making this targeted at a younger audience - I think this is a good way to introduce children to the LGBTQ community. It opens up the chance for readers to ask more questions however, that is also one of the down sides to this book; too many questions are left unanswered. What Jessica is going through is skimmed over quite a bit and instead we learn more about what is happening with her parents' political campaign. Even though is is not written from Jessica's point of view, it could have still been possible for us to learn more about what is going on inside her mind.

Despite the ending coming around so suddenly with a disappointing conclusion, I would still recommend to a younger audience so they feel comfortable learning more about such an important subject. Boyne shows the consequences of fighting for what you believe in but in spite of the reactions, you should never stop being yourself.

The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl by Belle de Jour
★★★☆☆
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. It is the diary of Brooke Magnanti during her time as a London prostitute, documenting her day-to-day life that is far more racier than most people's.

The diary format makes this book interesting because there is no arc, no character development, no plot and no conclusion - and although this may sound like total crap for most people, I personally don't see this as a bad thing. This book is exactly what it says on the tin: a diary. I was hooked instantly at the casual mention of Belle's time with her clients. No detail is left behind in the bedroom. If you're not comfortable with sex - though if you're not then surely just the title would put you off - then this is not for you.

Clever, witty, hilarious and shameless in all the best ways, this is one to read if you want a good laugh and a little (read: a lot) filth thrown in.

*

I've enjoyed getting back into reading this month as I only read one book back in February and I'm hoping to stick with it going into April. I'm not sure how many books I will get through after starting my new job but I suppose one is better than none. What books did you get through this month?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments