Penguin Random House Internship: My Experience

By Ciara Rosney - February 05, 2019



I originally applied for the two week internship back in September 2018 when they advertised for their November/December placements, however I wasn't successful. I wasn't disheartened because through research I did before applying, a majority of candidates applied a handful of times before snatching their place up. I got accepted the second time round. 

The process was quite simple: select the dates within the time frame that you are available, select three departments and three Publishing Houses you would prefer to work in, answer a few questions, and then wait. They say it could take weeks to hear back but I found out in less than ten days that I had been accepted to join the Audiences and Audio department for the first two weeks of January. It was not my first choice but nevertheless, I was elated. 

My first day did not go the way I had expected. It started off fine. I arrived early and met the other interns (a lot more than I expected), then our careers coordinator brought us for our induction where we learned more about the publication houses within Penguin and gave us a chance to meet each other properly. I quickly became familiar with a few girls, all of whom ended up being in the same building as me on Vauxhall Bridge Road. Or so I thought.

After traveling through London from Strand to Pimlico (a thing of difficulty for someone who doesn't visit the city often), I was told the Audiences and Audio department had moved a couple week prior and I would have to go all the way back to the Strand office - as though first days weren't anxiety-inducing enough. I eventually met the manager (who was lovely and was just as confused as me about the misunderstanding) and was brought up to the floor I would call home for the next two weeks. The staff - some names of whom I unfortunately struggled to remember - were extremely welcoming and open to any questions I had. I was then set up at my desk. 

In spite of the miscommunication issue earlier that morning over the office I would be at, I still expected things to run perfectly. Oh how naïve of me. It took three days for me to be set up properly on my computer with all the files I needed access to, to actually do some work. During this time, I only had access to Biblio (the publishing management system that holds an archive of past and future books and audiobooks) so my workload was incredibly limited, though this did allow me to thoroughly understand the programme and helped me at later dates to speed through tasks. Once I was finally given access to the right files, a number of exciting jobs were sent my way; a lot of admin work is expected - especially when doing editorial-related jobs - but it really broadened my knowledge of the industry. It was compelling to understand and get involved in the process of bringing an audiobook to life; I had the chance to visit one of the studios and witness a book being recorded, and even did some audio-proofing myself for some children's books read by Alexander Armstrong. 

Throughout this two week internship, I was lucky enough to tag along on a number of meetings to get first hand experience on what actually happens when it comes to exploring a new way of reading through the magic of audio. I admit, I found it hard to follow along when abbreviated words were thrown about and figures were mentioned but should you be lucky enough to work here too, don't be afraid to ask for an explanation like I was. I still regret it now. If I have one piece of advice when it comes to doing this internship, it would be to ask questions! The amount of questions I had but felt too shy to vocalise is almost embarrassing. The staff know you are there to learn and won't expect you to know everything, especially if, like me, this is your first publishing-related work experience.

It really is an eye-opener to see what goes on behind the scenes. Even though I was based in the Audio and Audiences department, a couple of the editors took me on a tour of the floor below where everything related to the physical copies happens, which was exactly as I had imagined with countless books and manuscripts scattered around the office. I loved it. I got to speak to a few of the people who were in the middle of editing upcoming unnamed books to understand how different it was compared to editing audiobook scripts and audio files. Although I got to see things from another perspective, I do wish I had asked more questions; in the hectic office I felt as though I was using up everyone's precious time so asked minimal questions, but word of advice: don't be afraid. Like I've mentioned above, they know you are on work experience and are happy to talk about anything.

I do have to say one of my favourite things about this internship was the Pulp Shelf. Whether you are in the Strand or Vauxhall office, there will be a shelf (and boxes and tables and piles) of books that are free for you to take - yes, that's right, free books. As I was only there for two weeks, I took full advantage of this opportunity; I brought home two big bagfuls and a whole suitcase of books, a number of which aren't released until later on in the year.

Regardless of the little mishaps that happened in the first few days of my internship, I would thoroughly recommend applying for any work experience you can with Penguin Random House. It is a great opportunity that has given me that foot in the door I really needed. Another great thing is that it is paid - a rarity when it comes to work experience. You are paid the London Living Wage so on top of the many free books you will receive, you also get paid to learn about something you love. 

If you are thinking of applying for their internship program, all I can say is to go for it and good luck to you - it is one amazing experience!

To find out more about work experience and internships at Penguin Random House, click here.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments