Reading Slumps - We All Go Through Them

By Ciara Rosney - August 18, 2020


When a majority of my life is focused on what I'm reading, what other people are reading, and what the latest book releases are, it's easy to feel pressured to spend every chance I get devouring as many novels as possible. And, also, life simply gets in the way. I've been in a reading slump since around the beginning of July. I'm trying to push through it, believe me, but I suppose it's just one of those things that I'll have to let pass until the right book comes along.

If I were to write down a list of all the books I've tried to read over the last couple of months, I'd most likely run out of space. There are books I know I'll enjoy when the time is right and others I've already given new homes. It's frustrating because of how much I love to read and scrolling through Instagram daily and seeing countless people sharing how many books they've gone through each week can be disheartening.

How can they read so fast?

Where do they find the time?

Am I not quick enough a reader to be a part of the book community?

Three stupid questions, yes, but ones I've asked myself a lot. I'm the first one to admit to comparing myself to others, even with such a silly as other Instagram accounts. It's natural. That probably hasn't helped with my reading slump; there's a pressure I put on myself to read as much and as fast as others to keep up with the current trends. I'm aware it's ridiculous. However, when I've spoken to other people online who, I've found out that they've been going through slumps too and have felt a pressure to keep up with the Joneses, as they say. It's nice to know others have been having trouble reading too and it isn't just me, as selfish as that sounds.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've received some exciting books and I'm hoping they help get me back into reading. I'm looking at you, Matt Haig! I've been on countdown for The Midnight Library since it was announced last year, so if this doesn't get me out of my slump then nothing will.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments